Friday, May 21, 2010

The Sweetest Thing...


So, yesterday I celebrated my 31st Birthday and it was an amazing day. I was overwhelmed with all the messages that came through my phone, email and Facebook. All day long I was blessed with birthday well-wishes and kind words. It made my day so incredibly special. I truly do have the best family and friends in the whole big world.

Although these wishes made my day, I must say that one in particular touched my heart deeper than any other. At 8:15am I was sitting at my desk at work and I got a call from Mackenzie and Andrew. Mackenzie's sweet voice greeted me with a "Happy Birthday, Mommy!" We spoke for a couple of minutes and then she passed the phone to Andrew. (A little background on Andrew you must know: He is not typically overly expressive of his thoughts or feelings. I usually have to drag emotion out of him. Also, he isn't fond of having all the attention and focus on him--even from us, his family...he's a little shy. Anyway...) I was fully expecting "Hey, Mom. Happy Birthday. Can I go play the Wii?" But instead, Andrew took the phone and began singing "Happy Birthday" in his precious little 5-year-old voice. By the time he reached, "...dear Mommy..." I was tearing up. It was the most expressive, sincere, and honest birthday wish I have ever received. I wish I could have bottled it up so that I would be able to listen to it over and over again. It was the sweetest thing. What an incredible gift!! One I will treasure always and never, ever forget.
These are the sweetest things; moments that stand out in our hearts and minds for a long, long time. I want to be careful not to move past these too fast.

1 comment:

Christie Lacy said...

so sweet! I'm so glad that you had a happy birthday! I have to say, these birthdays, celebrating with my family, are so much better than the parties I've had when I was younger!